Both my mum and my boyfriend absolutely love flapjacks so they are requested fairly often wherever I am! Given that I was making so many, I decided to develop my own ultimate recipe for flapjacks. Unfortunately, my mum and boyfriend both loved completely different types of flapjack so now I have two perfect recipes!
This recipe is for the gooey and thick flapjack, with a strong demerara flavour, rather than the thin, crispy flapjack with a strong syrup flavour. These are quite rich but always very popular and they’ve been featuring in our lunchboxes all week and proved rather popular at work too! They are so easy to make as well so if you like flapjacks, definitely try this recipe.
340g demerara sugar
4 serving spoons golden syrup
1/2 tin condensed milk
500g good quality oats
- Melt the butter completely in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the sugar, by sprinkling into the butter to avoid lumps, and melt into the butter completely.
- Add the golden syrup and mix.
- Add the condensed milk and mix.
- Fold in the oats and leave to soak slightly. Ensure that all the oats are covered in the syrup mixture and that the sugar is completely incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a lined baking tray, don’t squish down.
- Bake at 160C for about 15 minutes, until it is just brown around the edge and wobbly in the middle.
- Score where cuts will be but don’t take it out of the pan yet.
- Leave to cool and then, enjoy!